Saturday 31 July 2021

I'M STILL SHORT OF A MILLION

If Fred Schäfer (the celebrated author) is right, then all of you must pick up your socks. Yes, I am still short of a million readers of this book. My mother will not mind, but Fred will be disappointed. My inherent humility does not allow me to agree with him. Well, not publicly.
    Seriously, though, my publisher made it easy:
 
"The Gate - Things my Mother told me" draws you in with subtlety, wit, compassion and faith. An intriguing and captivating look at the last sixty years of western culture that holds you even though we all know how her story is going to end. It will be of particular interest to people who experienced Alzheimer's or Dementia in their immediate family. 
 
I couldn't put it better myself. Yet there is more to the novel. In spite of the seemingly serious nature, the book is full of humor. And for those of you who cannot live without an element of sex, you'll find that too. Yes, in an Old Peoples' Home. Now you see what I meant about humor? You've got to read it to believe me. (Many did, but, as I said, I'm still short of a million!)

***

As always, my publisher likes to add a few excerpts from reviews:
 
Beautiful and Moving!
.....a beautiful memoir and an exceptional experience of a lady, Mrs. Kordos, meeting with her own mortality through the face of Alzheimer’s.  ...The dialogue is beautifully composed with humor and seriousness conveying with perfect fluidity the gravity of each moment. To experience something so real, moving and meaningful is a gift. I highly recommend it! 
 
 Amy Taylor, USA, from a  5-star review 
 
A Perfect Joy
..... This book is one of those books for the soul. It's the kind of book you can sit on the porch or balcony with a cold drink and the sun on your face and when you finish, you feel changed. Relish it. 
Brian, USA, from a 5-star review

Powerful and Heartfelt
The GATE is a moving, heartbreaking story...  ...It must have been a challenge to write such a deeply personal book...  ...This is easily Law's most personal and heartfelt work and is easily my favorite book that he has written.
 
 Kevin Lintner USA from  a 5-star review
 
A haunting, contemplative work
The writing has classical grandeur and poetic beauty, the characters are vividly drawn... ...This is a jewel of a piece of writing, with an honesty that makes transcendence and incontinence equally noble a part of the narrative. If you value the life of the mind, this book is for you.
Kate Jones, USA from a 5-star review
     

 ...and a dozen others. I'd love to hear from you. Your thoughts cheer me up. Mother's been gone for quite a while, now, yet, somehow, she's still here...

*****
"A novel that deserves to be read by millions of people"
5.0 out of 5 stars from Fred Schäfer, Author 
 
In Paperbacks or eBooks
  And, please, don't forget your review.
 

https://www.amazon.com/GATE-Things-Mother-told-Me-ebook/dp/B004CRTDWS/ref=sr_1_19?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1460649324&sr=1-19&refinements=p_27%3AStan+I.S.+Law

or

*******

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment