Monday 12 August 2019

HUMAN POTENTIAL SERIES In Search of Secular Ethics. PSALM 23.

“Just lying around, wagging our tails”.
This is the shortest précis of Psalm 23rd.
Yet, there is more.
Much more.
Apparently, we are richly rewarded for being instruments, yes, even totally ignorant instruments, of the... “Most High”. Of the inherent, timeless, indestructible potential, abiding within us, trying hard to do things which, hopefully, one day we shall also do.
To understand this Psalm, we have to accept our intrinsic duality. We are the immortal Self that made us, raised us, gave us access to all previous experiences, enabled us to evolve towards our ultimate (infinite) potential...
— but also —
...we are an artificial intelligence generated by our biological equipment, which can, if we allow it, advance our becoming, by increasing and enhancing the diversity of the phenomenal reality. This intelligence functions through our physical mental and emotional energies.
Of the Universe which is our reality.

This second entity is known as Ego.

The Self is our timeless Being, the Ego our transient Becoming. What is more difficult to understand is, that at the quantum field level, the two are One.

Let us bear in mind that our Ego originates from a single sperm and ovum, which without Self would hardly expand to some 32 trillion cells, and brain capacity of 100 billion neurons. With a biological computer of such a capacity, we can expect the Ego to develop its own personality, competing with Self for prominence.
Yet, according to the Psalmist, it shouldn’t.
And here, as Hamlet would say, is the rub. We need Ego to survive in the phenomenal Universe. We need Self to sustain our being.

So, let us take the promises one by one.
For this is what they are. This is what the prophet, having presumably communicated with his Higher Self, heard and shared with us. Frankly, it is hard to believe.
And yet...?
Before we begin, let us make one thing perfectly clear. The Psalm has NOTHING to do with any religion, with any dogmas, with any superstitions. In the day when the Palmist wrote his dissertation, there were no churches, no Vatican... Today, in the USA alone, there are at least 35 Christian denominations, each one claiming to have the correct view of reality. Even Einstein would have been lost in such abundance of views of... illusion.
No.
The Psalm is no more and no less, than one man’s view of reality. And since Albert Einstein stated, quite firmly, that the world we recognize as reality is NOT REAL, that it is no more than an illusion, let us give this other fellow a chance.
Here’s what he said:

The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters;
He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness for His name sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil;
“...for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed my head with oil...”
My cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord Forever.

Just those few lines explain the reality which Einstein found inexplicable. Or which during the last days of his life he recognized as an illusion; that all is not as it seems, as perceived by our primitive senses.
That all is energy. 
My next two blogs will deal with my interpretation of the ancient concept of reality. I should mention that the Dictionary of Biblical Symbolism enabled me to offer you my interpretation.




REVIEWERS can ask for
FREE copies of books on http://stanlaw.ca

2 comments:

  1. "If one puts in the work required to extract the Bible's hidden meaning, this book becomes an essential reference and key for bringing out what would otherwise remain hidden. Highly recommended."
    Michael Hawkings, on Amazon, 5-stars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “An invaluable resource. The introduction provided a wonderful glimpse into the thoughts of the people who hid the Gnostic Gospels and the motivations behind their actions."
    Beth, 5-stars on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete